Friday, August 12, 2011

Bikes on Big Brother


It has come to my attention that this summer’s Big Brother TV show on CBS has a lot of bicycles used as decoration for the house. Actually I have to confess that it comes to my attention because I actually watch Big Brother every summer. The bikes don’t seem to have anything to do in the show. After all the people are trapped in a house and yard for weeks on end. There is not enough room to really ride them. I wonder if they will get bored enough to ride them anyway at some point. They mostly seem to be part of the decor. It does speak to bicycles being used more in popular media.
I found some pictures showing some of the bikes, but they are not the main subject of the pictures. Does anybody recognize any of the bike models? These kind of TV shows are big on product placement, but if these are all the same brand it is very subtle. They are all what are often called transportation bikes, not racing bikes or mountain bikes or even hybrids.
Just outside the door were people exit when they are voted out is the bike in these two pictures. A nice city bike with fenders. You can’t see it in this picture but it appears to have an internal gear hub.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Then off the kitchen there are two bike racks. The one in this picture has two bikes in it. The other one faces it just outside this picture has one more bike in it. These appear to be the ones that could be ridden.
Photobucket
In the last picture and this next one you can see some partially disassembled bikes mounted on the wall.
Photobucket
Here is another nice city bike hanging in the yard as decoration. This looks like it could be the same model as the one outside the door.
Photobucket
I have also seen a tandem hanging above the door to the Head of Household room, but I didn’t find any pictures of it. By the way, my wife just sees me noticing the bikes at all as just another sign of my obsession. I have been married over 20 years and I know enough not to disagree with her.

1 comment:

  1. Hm. Seems like if they are going to go for bicycle storage inside, they might consider folding bikes since those take up considerably less space. Then again, I've never watched Big Brother, but I don't imagine space is at much of a premium...reality show houses are usually enormous.

    ReplyDelete