Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Pop Goes the Tire

A story about tire problems, but they weren't my tires.

I have recruited a friend who lives in my neighborhood and works at the same place to ride with me. I will call him Mr. P., since he is a few style points short of Mr. T in the hair department. Right now Mr. P is joining me on Tuesdays and Thursdays. We had a nice ride in this morning with the temperature in the low 70s. We left our bikes in the bike rack in front of our building which is in the sun. When we came out just after 4:00 to head home in the 94 degree heat, Mr. P discovered he had a flat front tire. On further inspection, the tire itself had a hole in it. Then I noticed a large bulge on the back tire. The tube was still holding but the sidewall was giving out. The route we take, while paved, is twisty enough that it is more comfortable on a mountain bike than a road bike. Mr. P had put on some street tires he had on his mountain bike to better handle the pavement. But the tires were over 10 years old and as the day heated up they could not contain the expanding tubes.

Mr. P decided to call his wife to pick him up. He was planning a stop for tires and tubes on the way home, so he should be good to go on Thursday morning.

Ride Rating: Tuesday 3 rabbits, all in the afternoon

No comments:

Post a Comment