Monday, June 7, 2010

Tour de Cure

No commuting today. I took the day off to recover and do some errands.

I rode in the NC Tour de Cure this past weekend. The routes started in Cary Saturday morning and went to Southern Pines. After spending the night, we road back on Sunday. I rode 106 miles on Saturday and 82 on Sunday. The heat was brutal. I beat my best 100 mile time by over 4 minutes, but that did not include a total of 2 1/2 hours of breaks. After the first quarter I was just riding from rest stop to rest stop. I needed water and the blessed ice even when it had been only 7 miles since the last stop. I rolled in to the finish, checked in my bike and caught a shuttle to my hotel. After a nice but quick shower, I headed back to the finish for some dinner. The Mexican food hit the spot. I piled on the rice and beans and grabbed some cheese quesadillas to push it all around with. Then I repeated that with a second serving. At some point somebody filled me a cup of New Belgium foam which worked out to a perfect half a glass of beer.

Sunday I started the ride a little weak, but felt better after each of the first three stops. The day grew hot again but choosing the shorter route worked out to be a good choice.

This is a well supported ride and a really nice route. You pass some nice horse farms and other scenery. I would recommend it.

The best news is my friends helped me raise over $300 to fight diabetes. This was part of over $2500 raised by my team, the Spiritual Spinners. The NC ride has raised $187,980 so far.

I will be back on the bike tomorrow and report on some recent upgrades.

No comments:

Post a Comment