Wednesday, May 12, 2010

DIY Light Bracket

I felt my handlebar was getting a little crowded, so I decided to build a bracket to hold two lights that would mount where a reflector currently mounted to the bolt through the fork. It came out lookling like this once I mounted my two headlights on it.


I built the light bracket from parts at Home Depot for a total of about $3. I found all these in the plumbing section.
  • PVC tee, threaded on the single side
  • PVC plug
  • galvanized metal bracket
The tee looks like this. The single end is threaded the other two are smooth.

With the plug partially threaded in and without the metal bracket it looks like this.

I trimmed the corners of the metal to round them a little. Then I had a friend with a drill press drill a 1/2" hole near one end. Then I bent the bracket and screwed the PVC plug into the tee going through the bracket. A little sanding (very little) and I started painting. First a coat of primer and then some black, both of which I had on hand.

In the picture on the left you can see the tee and the bracket. On the back you can see the plug going through the bracket where it is threaded into the tee.

I think this will soon be shown on BikeHacks.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment