Monday, May 24, 2010

Saturday Errands

I had some nice rides Saturday. My teenage daughter has been asking to ride to our CSA, Hilltop Farms, to pick up our weekly vegetables. This is the first weekend that the schedule worked out for this. She has outgrown her Specialized Hot Rock and I have been cleaning up a single speed cruiser she has started riding around the neighborhood. The 15 mile round trip with hills, one particularly steep, is more than she is used to and a decent challenge on the cruiser. Saturday morning started out with rain and we thought we were going to have to change our plans. But 45 minutes later the rain let up and the radar looked good for the rest of the morning. So off we went. Her cruiser has big chrome fenders and my commuter has Planet Bike fenders, so the little bit of water on the road was no problem. She had to walk on the steepest part of the one hill, but she moved along pretty well on the rest. We got Swiss chard, mustard greens, lettuce, snow peas, green onions and tatsoi. She mentioned being sore by the time we were heading back but she pressed on. I think she is considering doing it again.

After lunch I still needed to get the rest of the groceries. I got back on my bike and logged another 6 miles round trip to Harris Teeter. I took my panniers in the store along with my canvas grocery bags. I did self checkout and put the large items (milk, orange juice, etc) in the canvas bag and everything else directly in the panniers. The canvas bag got bungeed to top of the rear rack. The bike carried the load well even if it wasn't 400 pounds of bananas. Seriously if you haven't seen the video of transporting 400 pounds of bananas on a Yuba Mundo check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment